Miscellaneous

Display:

From the 17th century until 1969, a spiked helmet with visor (an 'armet') had hung from a bracket in the church. For security reasons, it was then placed in a bank vault. In 1974 a faculty was granted to allow the armet to be placed on indefinite loan with the Armouries of thw Tower of London. It was subsequently moved with much of the Tower Armouries collection to the Royal Armouries Museum in Leeds in 1996. In 2010 the Parochial Church Council was short of funds and wished to sell the armet. The consent of heirs at law was obtained. The Chancellor decided that financial justification for sale was proved by the Petitioners, and he therefore granted a faculty. [There was a subsequent appeal by the Church Buildings Council against the sale, and the Court of Arches allowed the appeal.]

The Rector and Churchwardens petitioned to install a heraldic hatchment with the coat of arms of the Collins family of Adlestrop Park in the nave or in the north transept of the church. There were already in the church three hatchments of the Leigh family, who had owned Adlestrop Park from 1553 until it was sold to the Collins family during the last century. A parishioner objected that "Church hatchments were to mark the death of a ‘Lord of the Manor’ ... only a family which has strong ties over several generations should have such a display.”  The Chancellor was satisfied that hatchments, if displaying legally authorised Coats of Arms, can still with sufficient reason be introduced by Faculty. [Note: Jane Austen is believed to have regularly visited Adlestrop.]

Faculty granted for the disposal of three sets of High Mass vestments thought to be "not in keeping with the present vestments and were bought without sufficient consultation with the PCC and are generally regarded as 'mistakes'", even though purchased in recent years at considerable expense. Comments by the acting Deputy Chancellor on the stewardship of parish resources.

The Rector and Churchwardens of St Mary Magdalene Adlestrop petitioned to install a hatchment in the Church in memory of the late Mrs. Collins of Adlestrop Park. The Chancellor granted a faculty. The judgment contains a discussion of the nature of hatchments and their placement in church buildings.

The petitioners wished to install 48 solar panels on the south-facing nave roof of the church, to help to reduce heating costs and also reduce carbon dioxide emissions. The Diocesan Advisory Committee decided not to recommend the proposals. English Heritage and the Victorian Society objected, but were not parties opponent. The Chancellor was satisfied that the petitioners had proved a necessity and accordingly he granted a faculty.

This was an appeal from a decision of the Chancellor of the Diocese of Peterborough, who had refused to grant a faculty for the sale of certain items of church silver. The reason for the proposed sale of the "redundant" silver had been to start a fund to meet the cost of building an extension to the church. The Court of Arches dismissed the appeal for the reasons given by the Chancellor in his judgment: the application to sell the silver was premature; there was no immediate financial crisis; planning permission had not yet been obtained (in fact planning permission had been refused two years earlier and no appeal had been made against the decision); there had not yet been any appeal for funds, and so one could not argue that the proceeds of a sale of the silver were vital to the completion of the project.

The Incumbent and Churchwardens sought permission to sell a Georgian silver flagon and matching alms dish dated 1774, a silver chalice and paten dated 1570 and the surviving part of an illuminated medieval missal. The Council for the Care of Churches suggested that the missal should be deposited in the County Records Office. This was agreed, and a faculty was granted in respect of that item. The silver had not been used for over 20 years and the proposed sale was with a view to starting a fund to cover the cost of an extension to the church, the cost of which would be in th region of £300,000. The Chancellor refused to grant a faculty for the sale. Church silver should only be sold as a last resort. The application to sell the silver was premature. There was no immediate financial crisis. Planning permission had not yet been obtained. In fact planning permission had been refused two years earlier and no appeal had been made against the decision. There had not yet been any appeal for funds, and so one could not argue that the proceeds of a sale of the silver were vital to the completion of the project.

Faculty granted for the sale to the National Maritime Museum of two flags taken from the Battle of Trafalgar, one a Union Flag from HMS Minotaur, the other an Austrian ensign believed to have been taken from the Spanish ship Neptuno.

Faculty granted for votive candle stand. Judgment contains a discussion as to the legality of the use of votive candles in church.

In spite of reservations by a few parishioners, the Chancellor approved the acceptance of a gift of a silver chalice and paten in memory of a former regular worshipper at the church, the late Mrs. Mary Rowe, the chalice to be inscribed on the base: "In memory of Mary Rowe 1938-2001".